Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone have a recipe for

Go down 
+2
hummer
Shelia
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelia

Shelia

Anyone have a recipe for Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:01 am

an old fashioned coconut cake ??

This cake has like a hard egg white frosting with coconut in it.
I call it crunchy.

Yes I could look it up but I'm wanting one that maybe is an easy family recipe.

Glenn's mother made this cake. I can't call her and ask, she's too weak to talk and I hate talking to his father.

He's been craving this cake for weeks and I don't know how to make it. I thought I'd give it a try before he goes ahead and does it because he will either ruin a saucepan or ruin my stovetop trying.

What's sad about the whole thing is it will go to waste. I don't care for the crusty icing part and I doubt Jonathan even tries it. We both don't like coconut.
Back to top Go down
hummer

hummer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:05 am

Shelia wrote:
an old fashioned coconut cake ??

This cake has like a hard egg white frosting with coconut in it.
I call it crunchy.

Yes I could look it up but I'm wanting one that maybe is an easy family recipe.

Glenn's mother made this cake. I can't call her and ask, she's too weak to talk and I hate talking to his father.

He's been craving this cake for weeks and I don't know how to make it. I thought I'd give it a try before he goes ahead and does it because he will either ruin a saucepan or ruin my stovetop trying.

What's sad about the whole thing is it will go to waste. I don't care for the crusty icing part and I doubt Jonathan even tries it. We both don't like coconut.

My Nannan (dad's mom) used to make this. I'll ask my mom if she has the recipe.
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:19 am

That sounds like the kind of coconut cake Russell always said his Mama made...The kind of coconut cake I always liked didn't have that kind of icing...The kind I liked was like a heavy clear syrup with coconut cooked into it and when it's poured over the cake it soaks into the cake and makes it mighty moist...My Mama used to make a Japanese fruit cake that was a layer cake with this syrup poured over it...it's soooooooo good...but rich too.
The kind Russells Mama used to make was just a yellow cake mix with what I think was a 7 minute frosting on it with coconut just patted on it
None of my kids will eat coconut because they all say it makes them have a headache...and as I've gotten older I find the same thing. probably always did but I've just realized the different things that caused it.
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:22 am

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/jamies-coconut-cake-recipe/index.html

I just looked it up and found this recipe...I know it's Paula Deenes and you don't care for her but it sounds like the one Russells Mama used to make...
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Seafood Enchiladas   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 am

I'm looking for a recipe, too!

I want to make seafood enchiladas but more in the way of Cajun than Mexican. The filling is kind of creamy with shrimp, scallops and mushrooms and then the sauce that goes over the top is called crawfish ancho-cream sauce so it's got a bite to it.

I have all the ingredients but I can only find recipes online for Mexican-style seafood enchiladas.

Shelia - do you have any suggestions Cajun-wise as I will probably have to wing it? It would have some cream cheese as part of the filling to make it creamy and thick.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:11 am

Sheila. My mom made that cake every year for easter, in an easter egg mold, and we got to pick the color for the icing. She dyed the coconut green, so it looked like grass. I have the recipe, but unfortunately it is in storage. I am so sorry.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:18 am

Em, find a recipe you have used before, and use only cajun seasonings in place of the mexican ones. Use Garlic, Tony Chacheres, or an Emeril type cajun seasoning. I prefer Slap Yo Mama, but you would probably have to go to Whole Foods for that, although the HEB might have it. Use your Trinity too. Celery, Peppers, and Onions. I modify recipes all the time with different ingredients to taste differently. Look up some yummy Cajun seafood casseroles, and use one of them, decreasing the liquid, and then you can roll that in the tortillas. Another thing I like to do is instead of rolling the enchiladas, I cook em New Mexico style: Stacked. Just like lasagna and a whole lot easier!
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 6:03 am

Em, I agree with Deb.

Deb and Mable

THAT IS THE CAKE !!!!

Thank you. I'm going to make it tommorrow, will report !!!
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks Deb! I always have trinity ready to go. And maybe I will try to make it lasagna style.

I was thinking and you know what the filling reminds me of? It reminds me of Pappadeaux fondeaux.
Back to top Go down
Percymac95

PostSubject: Time   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 am

just trying to get my time set...........
Back to top Go down
Percymac95

PostSubject: Time again   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:19 am

Still working on my time Whew!
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 8:44 am

Don't bother Percy.

We all tried, I gave up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have a recipe for   Anyone have a recipe for I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a recipe for
Page 1 of 1