Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Squatters are taking over London

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelia

Shelia

Squatters are taking over London Empty
PostSubject: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 3:07 am

Coming to a town near you.

I've been seeing more and more of this in the news lately here in the states. It interests me because it's not concentrated in the city. It's happening all over. There are new homes sitting here in our area, beautiful homes that have been foreclosed on. The banks are dragging their feet on selling them, leaving them ripe for this type of thing.

Not only that but the squatters are bragging online about what they are doing, have advocates helping them, are telling other squatters where to go.

This story has one blogging about it and taking pictures.

Squatters evicted from a £6.3 million home in the heart of London's Mayfair have set up home just 400 metres away – in a property worth more than £22 million.

The group, who describe themselves as artists, are running workshops "of mutual learning, left wing bias and free lectures" to legitimise their presence at Clarges Mews.

Known as The Temporary School of Thought, they installed themselves in the Grade II listed building on November 29 after being ejected from a residence in nearby Upper Grosvenor Street earlier in the month.

But their artistic endeavour in their new abode was interrupted briefly as the squatters were summoned to court to fight eviction.

The £22.5 million property, yards from Berkeley Square, is owned by Timekeeper Ltd which is less than impressed with its uninvited tenants.

The squatters were discovered last month when a Christmas tree adorned with tinsel and baubles was spotted in one of the windows.

http://www.gutshot.com/bforum/blog.php?s=9290563340a12db4396fd174024b8d7b&u=16387
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 3:38 am

I've heard about that. They are actually putting utilities in their own names in homes owned by other people!
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 4:49 am

Emily wrote:
I've heard about that. They are actually putting utilities in their own names in homes owned by other people!

Sounds like they're daring anybody to say they can't do it. That takes stupidity to do something like that and to just take over a house like they own it.
Shelia how bout the ones across from you...are they still there?
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 7:50 am

Yeah and they still have no furniture.

Something kind of funny, they don't have any shades on the windows but they hung some curtains.

All navy blue, all too short, see thru and they don't reach the tops of the arched windows.

They have a beautiful house. I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 am

Shelia wrote:
Yeah and they still have no furniture.

Something kind of funny, they don't have any shades on the windows but they hung some curtains.

All navy blue, all too short, see thru and they don't reach the tops of the arched windows.

They have a beautiful house. I don't get it.

Maybe it's all for show. To the average person driving by it looks like they have something but when they turn on the lights at night those who live around there know different.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:06 am

Could be. I still never saw anyone come and move them in.

Something creepy ??

At night when we walk we of course have to pass by their house, the door has nothing on it so you can see inside. Someone is always standing by the door, watching.

During the day I see someone sitting in front of the upstairs window. ALL DAY.

My dining room window faces their front and I can see up there when I look out.
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:44 am

Shelia wrote:
Could be. I still never saw anyone come and move them in.

Something creepy ??

At night when we walk we of course have to pass by their house, the door has nothing on it so you can see inside. Someone is always standing by the door, watching.

During the day I see someone sitting in front of the upstairs window. ALL DAY.

My dining room window faces their front and I can see up there when I look out.

That is creepy. To have someone watching the door all the time sounds like they are waiting for something to happen.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:51 am

You think maybe it's just coincidence but we don't walk at the same time or even every night yet they are always there watching.

Glenn swears they won't be there long. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squatters are taking over London   Squatters are taking over London I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Squatters are taking over London
Page 1 of 1