Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Our Little Ghetto Backyard

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Emily

Emily

Our Little Ghetto Backyard Empty
PostSubject: Our Little Ghetto Backyard   Our Little Ghetto Backyard I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 7:52 am

I've always wanted a birdfeeder so I bought one last week. I love watching the birds and the kitties get all excited so Dan put it on the deck. Well yesterday, the birds came. They were all those icky black grackles when I was really expecting cardinals.

Within an hour, there must have been 100 grackles out there. I saw a couple of cardinals but the grackles were scaring them away. There was one grackle who was directing traffic and he was the big bully one.

I was trying to explain the scene to Dan last night when he got home:

I told him there were a lot of black grackles out on the deck and they ate all the bird seed and how they were laying around in the yard and fighting and making a lot of noise and more and more kept coming. He went outside and said the deck was a mess with bird poop and seeds.

He said they were doing fly by pooping on the deck and said we had our own little bird ghetto in the backyard.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Our Little Ghetto Backyard   Our Little Ghetto Backyard I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:30 am

Grackles are friggin nasty. We can't get rid of em up here. The poo they leave is unreal!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Our Little Ghetto Backyard   Our Little Ghetto Backyard I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:43 am

They are the "garbage bird" they and that black throated sparrow aren't even considered birds by the Audubon Society...they hitched rides over on ships...too bad they weren't shot. Anyway maybe if you throw some scraps of bread or something out into the yard they'll go for that rather than the seed. They flew in here the other day trying to take over our feeders. They're very skiddish so we ran them off and kept doing it...My daddy said you can't put it out there and pick the ones you want to eat it...I said watch me...

Last edited by Maboe Shortt on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Our Little Ghetto Backyard   Our Little Ghetto Backyard I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:48 am

I saw one dead in my pkng lot at work today, with it's guts all out for anyone to see, and I was not sad. Guess I am not PETA quality. HAHA!
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: Our Little Ghetto Backyard   Our Little Ghetto Backyard I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 10:00 am

Debu wrote:
I saw one dead in my pkng lot at work today, with it's guts all out for anyone to see, and I was not sad. Guess I am not PETA quality. HAHA!

I guess I'm not either cause we have trouble with house wrens invading our bluebird boxes and killing their babys...soooooo I sat out there one year close to the box...waited for that sucker to go into the box and I slapped my hand over the hole and Russell brought a board and we nailed it over the hole...let that sucker die in there. They try to take over the bluebird boxes ...PETA and probably the audubon society would go after me. It's in my yard and my boxes and I want my bluebirds in there nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Our Little Ghetto Backyard   Our Little Ghetto Backyard I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 10:25 am

Quote :
waited for that sucker to go into the box and I slapped my hand over the hole and Russell brought a board and we nailed it over the hole...let that sucker die in there.

That's one of the reasons I love ya, Mable!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our Little Ghetto Backyard   Our Little Ghetto Backyard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our Little Ghetto Backyard
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Secret Place :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: