Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

the economic crunch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rosie

Rosie

the economic crunch Empty
PostSubject: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:34 pm

what things have you been doing to get thru these tough times??
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:21 pm

When Russell retired 6 years ago we started cutting back our thermostat but actually we'd already been doing that for years. Years ago we got into burning wood to keep warm in the house and we went 3 years without buying heating oil. But we got used to the house being cooler then and found out we had fewer colds and crap...but since Daddy has been up here we have had to keep it warmer than we like . And he'll turn the gas heater wide open during the night and says he can't turn it down . But he was always turning his heaters wide open like that at his house. He figured he could stay warm if nothing else. All our utilities have doubled since he's been here . Way back when he still had some of his mental capabilities he told me to write a check to cover the difference so that's what we do. He has to have a light on to sleep...then complains about having a light in his face . With his getting up all hours of the night we have to have it on or he'll fall. We don't turn on the lights when it's still day light but Daddy sure will...he will go around closing blinds and turning on the lights. We come in and start opening blinds and turning off lights. He and Mama both would rather have paid for lights than day light and sunshine.We have night lights in the bathroom and all thru the house so we never turn on a light when we get up to go to the bathroom during the night but Daddy sure does. It was a big adjustment when he came here to live.
But when he's no longer with us we'll be able to cut way back on everything the way we were before Daddy came to live with us. On grocery shopping and just plain spending. Right now tho a trip to WalMart is a good outing for both of us...

Last edited by Maboe Shortt on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 pm

In the income bracket I am, I haven't had to give up much, because I didn't have much. haha. Tim and I have lived pretty frugally for a good while, because we didn't have much free $$, and we still don't. So, we are more diligent about watching when stuff goes on sale, at the grocery store, and we buy valu paks of meat to divide up, and we go out less, which now means not at all unless it is a special occasion. We used to go out for breakfast on Sunday, and now I cook it.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 2:45 am

When Glenn and I were alone our expenses were very low.

Since Jonathan came to live everything has gone up. A LOT.

I keep an eye on what he needs not wants. Something he doesn't quite get yet but he's learning.

As for cutting back I don't see any major sacrifices. We've lived frugally for many years so it comes naturally to us. No lights when not needed ( yes I are anal about that ) no waste. I hate waste. And since we're "dieting", certain food buying has decreased.

No more junk, cokes, processed foods. I am really into cooking good food these days.

It's like fine dining at home.

BWAHAHAHAHA !!!!

I thank God Glenn got this job when he did. His gas is paid for and we can use his company truck for our shopping needs, he doesn't pay for lunches anymore.

That saved us $400 or more a month for him alone. Jonathan is on a gas allowance. If we fill it up he will burn it up so we had to limit his gas.

Lately I've been on a tear about grocery shopping/stocking food. I guess thinking about summer electric bills is bugging me. I think if I stock up now it won't hurt as much later. Crazy mind games I play on myself.

If we had to I could tighten up more.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 3:57 am

I know. I would love to tighten up more, but I really don't know where to at this time.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 4:21 am

If it were up to me I would cut cable. I rarely watch TV anymore except for a few shows I doubt I would miss. I only watch TV at night because Glenn wants me to sit with him. I find most movies boring. He's a tv bug so that ain't happening.

I could live without internet but that's where Glenn does his financial stuff, work from home, Jonathan job searches and socializes so that's out. It's here, I play.

I could probably cut back on water by banning those two from taking baths in the big bathtub. I'm sorry I find that monster to be such a waste of water. I have yet to sit in it. My water bill is only $42 a month. Since they don't use it everyday I can't see limiting their baths. My washing clothes is the majority of my bill. I can't cut back on that. I rarely use the dishwasher. I never have enough dishes to put in it. I clean as I go and wash everything.

I hardly go anywhere except the store so a tank of gas lasts a month or more for me sometimes longer.

I cook everyday so we don't eat out.

Other than that there's really nothing to cut back on. When Jonathan finally gets on his own our finances will be much better. That may take another year.

The funny thing is this is how we always lived. The house utilities are low so I can't complain. I don't like to shop and don't feel the need so you can't cut what you don't do. Our vehicles are paid for and I doubt the bank would give me a break on our biggest expense, the house note. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 4:27 am

That is the thing Sheila, this is what I have always done. In the past, I had more money for fun, but now I have less, but my lifestyle hasn't really changed.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 4:56 am

Because you never got a cost of living raise as other things rose in price. Gas, groceries, utilities .... everything just went up suddenly except paychecks.

When we were in Clinton we were feeling it big time.

We cut out everything except essentials. The bank account was going down faster than it was building up but for us it was all Jonathan's expenses. It really put a hurt on us. We had to do without some things we normally had fun doing. One person taking care of three people was not easy.

I won't lie, I got a little resentful at first. It just wasn't fair. To Glenn, he worked so damn hard, to me it meant more work and Jonathan had to realize we were NOT the Bank of Bellot. A family meeting and things finally started to click. But make no mistake, it was a drastic cut for us.

You're not telling me anything I don't know or lived Deb. It's rough right now and if you need help I can help you.

For real. I love you
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:06 am

Appreciate that. The only thing that hurts is my social budget, everything else is good. The good thing is that everyone else is hurting too, so we don't go out as much, but go over to peeps houses for potluck dinner and bbq's. It has actually strengthened our friendships. This Austin Trip? Holy Geez. $127 a night for a hotel room? WTF? Tim and I invited our friend Matt to share a room with us, and we are thinking about calling our friends in Houston, and sharing with them as well, so it will be 5 grown-ups in a room. WOW!
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:29 am

We do 3 in a room when we go to the races. One payer. Glenn. Very Happy

If you need you know where to find me.

This is NOT a Rachelle type offer either.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:41 am

Speaking of entertainment

I got a free weekend this week.

Glenn went to some races in Houston. He left at 4 this morning and won't be back until Sunday.

WOO HOO.

I get to clean baseboards, iron and hang curtains, put up some pictures in my spare room and hall.

How's that for entertainment. Something is wrong with this. Very wrong. No

I don't have to cook. Jonathan will be taking over that job for 2 days. Yeah, I get to clean the mess.

AHHHH I feel like a queen

NOT !!!
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 6:39 am

We don't hardly eat out anymore at all. There are days I don't even leave the house because I really have nowhere to go. We are definitely eating more leftovers and I eat lots of leftovers at lunch.

Just a lot less spending all around.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 am

Sheila: Tanks!

Everyone: Yeah, I am starting to get a bit miffed about my COLA not increasing. I keep saying things like "Back in the day....." and "Remember When....."

monkey
Back to top Go down
Maboe Shortt

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 7:17 am

I had someone tell me one time that as time goes on we'll find we'll be saying back in the day or remember when a lot more ...that was at least 46 years ago .
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 9:52 am

I'm sorry

BWAHAHAHA !!!!

That really made me laugh. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:31 am

Shelia--I know how you feel with your son there. My expenses are up too with Joey living here.
When he moved out before, my costs when down alot. I also have found myself getting resentful and then I feel so bad for feeling like that.
I keep thinking about his two friends that have died and how their moms would LOVE to have that extra expense. Sad
He works part time and so he has his spending money and pays for his own cell phone ( I will NOT help with that--not a necessity!) and gas and walking around money. I do flip him a few bucks now and then, as does his dad and grandparents. He does his own laundry but we have a running battle about the dishes.

I could cut back more--I could live without cable and internet. Wouldnt kill me, but I keep it cus it is the only entertainment I have other than my reading. I dont ever buy full price books. I usually go to the Goodwill or yard sales or library sales to get books. I share books with a group of girlfriends too. I do think it would kill me to give up reading. We do need the internet for his school too.
I am using less prepared foods and more fresh things. Better on the budget and my health.
I gave up my newspaper except for Sunday--I have been a newspaper reader since I was 10 yrs old! I have not gotten the daily paper for 3 months now and I have learned that I dont even need the Sunday paper. When my subscription is up in May, I am not going to renew it. I can get what I want on the net--the news, the sales, etc.

I do go out to eat at least once a month and get some take -out once a month.
I work that into my budget.
I try to chart a course for all my errands so I can get them done on one day. I try so hard to save on gas and do pretty well.
I use coupons for meals , etc.
I have a freezer and hit the big meat sale a couple times a year.
I dont buy pop anymore.

I seldom rent movies. Joey usually gets them from a friend who burns them anyhow.
I am not a big movie watcher anyhow. I like to read more.

I also bitch out Joey about his long ass showers and leaving lights on. My dad, being an electrical engineer, used to HOLLER about the lights all the time and the long ass showers when we were growing up. So now I continue the tradition!
I think I am doing pretty well, all things considered.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:50 am

OH I forgot to mention that I returned a pair of shoes I really didnt need today.

I bought a pair of leather KEDS on sale last week. I never took them out of the box so I figured I really wasnt all that interested in them so today I took them back.

I already have a pair anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:56 am

Gawd Rosie I feel shitty now thinking about some of the kids we know that have passed too. Sad

It's normal to feel resentful. I think Glenn and I put in our time and sacrificed without for our two yet they think we're rolling in the green.

OH MY. NOT SO.

It took 26 years this month to get where we are and we're not about to piddle it away on nothing.

IF Jonathan was working or going to school ( which he is about to ) it would be different but that's not the case. We foot the bill for everything because he has nothing. BUT I think in a year he'll be doing better, have a job and will be making enough to at least support himself outside of the home.

It's been trying at times. Your grown son living at home is not easy. I sometimes feel overwhelmed and stuck in the middle of arguments I have no business being in. The drama of daily life with Glenn and Jonathan gets old. I'm not a babysitter or a housemaid no matter what they think.

Please forgive my rant. Sometimes I can be so selfish. I don't like me being that way.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Quote :
I eat lots of leftovers at lunch.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, that's why I'm not losing any weight.

I'm having a rough day so forgive me for typos and other thoughts that might not make sense. I woke up the other morning with the most horrible pain in the middle of my back on the left side - like a really bad muscle strain. And it's just not going away. I think it must be a nerve thing because it sometimes is a shooting pain. And my right Achilles hurts like hell and my right hip hurts like hell. I'm having pain all over - I even took a Tramadol this morning.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Em, how you doing now????
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 2:07 am

OH EM...I hope you are feeling better.

The other day, I stupidly helped my brother carry a desk down to the basement.

Later that night, I was in so much pain...ay yi yi.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 2:16 am

Yes, Shelia, I also think it is normal to feel resentful. And sometimes I wonder about if he will ever get out on his own.
I know he is in school, so that makes me feel better about it all, but still. I feel like I am taking care of everyone. Well I am, really, I guess.
Sometimes I just want to buy a cabin in the woods and just disappear --no forwarding address.
Today is one of those days. I am hibernating at home.

I dont think you are being selfish, Shelia. Not at all. It is rough having grown kids at home.
You get them raised so they will move out and you and hub can time alone after having raised them for all those years. I also feel selfish about wanting some time alone before I am unable to be alone LOL

Dating with a grown son here?? Not that I am interested in it, but what if I did find a guy I am interested in?
How would I make out with someone with JOEY sitting upstairs??? Embarassed
NOT!

HAHA Joey probably would see to it that I wasnt ever alone with a date. He would probably sit there and gawk at us.
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 am

Debu wrote:
Em, how you doing now????

My back is much better today but I still have this issue with my right Achilles and my right hip. My doctor told me that with my Achilles the only thing to do is to let it heal which means no weightbearing exercise and very little walking. That is so hard to do. I'm supposed to go see an orthopedist about it but don't really want to but the family doctor told me that if I don't let it heal completely, I could rupture it and that would be really bad.

So I haven't been doing my Wii or my elliptical and I feel like shit because now I just feel like a slug sitting around.

We have VOD exercise TV and I should probably check that out and do some of the sitting exercises.

I feel so freaking old.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 4:32 am

((HUGS)) to Em.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the economic crunch   the economic crunch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the economic crunch
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Secret Place :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: