Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Woke up this morning........

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Debu

Debu

Woke up this morning........ Empty
PostSubject: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:45 am

With a headache. Which I don't get many of, so that was odd. Told Tim. He said it was probably my subconcious reacting to the inauguration. HAHA.

I watched the American History series on BBC America last night. I am gonna go over to Tim's and watch the second tonight. Really cool. I learned stuff about this country I didn't know. When it is cheaper I will probably buy the DVD.
Back to top Go down
hummer

hummer

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:50 am

Debu wrote:
With a headache. Which I don't get many of, so that was odd. Told Tim. He said it was probably my subconcious reacting to the inauguration. HAHA.

I watched the American History series on BBC America last night. I am gonna go over to Tim's and watch the second tonight. Really cool. I learned stuff about this country I didn't know. When it is cheaper I will probably buy the DVD.

What is the series? On BBC America? Do tell, sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:57 am

It is a four part series on BBC America. "An American History" Each part is an hour. The guy that narrates it grew up in the US, although he is British. Did you know that there was a Jewish settlement in Rhode Island, and that they were some of the first colonists there? That was one of the things I saw. Now, seeing as he is British, there is a bit of a different slant to things, that some people might be offended by, but I thought it was quite interesting, #1, to learn things I didn't know, and #2, to see a different view point on our country.

Also, Thomas Jefferson (one of my heros) penned something called the Virginia Statute of some year way back when, discussing religious freedoms in depth. I think I read about it in my youth, but forgot.

It was pretty enlightening, and I hadn't used that word about a TV show in a LONG time.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:14 am

Considering I didn't pay attention in high school or college to US history, I'd probably like to watch that. Dan can't believe I graduated from high school when we discuss history and the things he has to explain to me. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:33 am

I had a teacher in high school that only taught black history. Back then he was considered radical.

He owned a radio station and went by the name The Dr. of Soul.

GAWD he smelled good.

To this day I know more black history than white.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:43 am

Then you probably already know about Fannie (something or other) who was the head of the Freedom Democrats in MS. I learned about her last night too. They interviewed her daughter, and even Tim said she shoulda waxed her face. Lord, she had a stache!
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:50 am

Fannie Hamer.

Go up north to Sunflower County and her name graces many road plaques.

Lots of farm country in the Delta.

Sunflower County is a scary place. If you're white.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:58 am

Yeah that is it. So, my mom grew up in GPT. Went to school at Ole Miss. Back when James Meredith started. When she drove home from Oxford, she told me she used to make her Buick FLY! Said she didn't feel safe till she was past Jackson, but really, past Harrisburg.

Up north of Jackson is some scaaaary stuff!
Back to top Go down
Shelia

Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 am

While living in Mississippi, especially so close to Jackson, I found out you gotta watch out for some of the civil rights activist stories floating around.

You are considered an activist if you name yourself one, if you caused trouble in the neighborhood, if you attended a city council meeting, ran for any office, told a story about being unfairly treated, were part of your neighborhood watch program ..... Very Happy

It was funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Woke up this morning........   Woke up this morning........ I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Woke up this morning........
Page 1 of 1