Our Secret Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Secret Place

Girls only

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Out of Business ????

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelia

Shelia

Out of Business ???? Empty
PostSubject: Out of Business ????   Out of Business ???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:15 am

Put this in the you've GOT to be kidding me category.

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - Consignment shop owners who sell children's clothing and toys are not so affectionately calling it "Bankruptcy Day." On February 10th the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act will take affect, making it illegal for stores to sell items for children 12 and under unless they have been tested for lead and phthalates.

Liz Cook, owner of The Rocking Horse Consignment Shop, says the mandate may not be problem for companies manufacturing new products. But, for businesses like hers that sell used products, it could mean the end.

"You know I'm at a point I'm freaking out here. I am. I have a three year lease. I have debts and bills that need to be paid off for the store. So I'm at a point where I'm like now what do I do," she said.

Cook said she's considered several options including purchasing a piece of special equipment so she could test the items in her store herself.

"It's a wand of some sort that you put over the clothing and it will tell you whether or not it has lead in it. It' cost between $25,000 and $40,000 for this piece of equipment and it's not guaranteed to be completely error free. I can't afford that," she said.

Now who wrote this law ??

Back in the day, Arc Angel Acres in the town where we're from, had a huge warehouse filled with stuff they sold to the public to keep their school open, running and debt free. A wonderful thing to have. There were handmade things, furniture, clothes, household goods, most if not all were brand new donated items. I loved going there. I still have stuff from back then.

Places like that cannot close down. That's where mentally handicapped adults learned to work and live on their own.

Not to mention the thrift stores. If you have kids, there is nothing wrong with getting clothes from there. Especially if you're struggling to pay bills. Shirts, shorts & pants were cheap, barely used, sometimes still had tags on them. If you shopped right, had time, you could walk out with at least 2 bags of brand new stuff for under $20.

This is so wrong. Not at this time when so many people are in need.

I read this morning 693,000 private sector jobs were lost this year. There is a need for these stores. Gawd how stupid.
Back to top Go down
Debu

Debu

PostSubject: Re: Out of Business ????   Out of Business ???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:25 am

Yeah, I heard about that one. Makes no sense whatsoever. No
Back to top Go down
Emily

Emily

PostSubject: Re: Out of Business ????   Out of Business ???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 6:16 am

Believe it or not, that is the ONLY bill the democratic congress passed in 2007. Hmmmm, just another example of government causing more problems than they think they fix.

This one has Nancy Pelosi's name all over it.
Back to top Go down
Rosie

Rosie

PostSubject: Re: Out of Business ????   Out of Business ???? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 am

what crap.

what about the testing before they leave the place they are made and before being sold in the stores? Doesnt that account for something?

I suppose if someone painted something, the store owner could just refuse to take it.

JHC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out of Business ????   Out of Business ???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Out of Business ????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Secret Place :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: